When your pastor encourages you to invite someone to church, it's not what you think. First, I'll tell you what it's not about.
It's not to tell people how great your church is.
It's not to tell your friends that we have an excellent children's program where kids are so loved. (And we do.)
It's not to tell your family that we have awesome worship. (And we do!)
It's not to brag about your amazing pastor. (And of course we have that too.)
It's not about filling up the place and getting more butts in the seats.
It's really not about C5 Church. (Or whatever church you might happen to attend.)
Why do we constantly encourage you to get people into church? Here are six reasons.
1. We want to get your friends into an environment where they can feel safe, valued, and loved. The church is a place where they can hear the things you wish you could've said. When your friends come to love the church like you do, they will be able to grow into the full potential and become all that God intended them to be.
2. We want to get your family into the church so that they can thrive! When they thrive, they begin to make better choices. When they make better choices, there are fewer mistakes to fix, fewer holes to dig out of, and greater freedom. (Yay!)
3. We want to get your people into church, because the more they are in church, the more hope there is of them accepting Jesus, which means you will see them in heaven. FOREVER!!!
4. We want you to experience the complete joy of participating with God and watching your friends and family members change. Right before your very eyes. It is so much fun.
5. We want to get the people you love the most, (or let's face it, those who cause you the most grief or worry), to step into the one place we know God's presence rests, where miracles happen, and where they can be transformed in an instant.
6. God's desire is that we build His kingdom and most of that happens within the context of the local church. In the book of Acts, we see His plan unfold in black and white. "Praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved." Acts 2:47 (ESV) This reason alone should be enough for us, but out of God's great kindness, He throws in all the other perks as a bonus! (He's amazing!)
I can think of a lot more reasons why your pastor wants you to invite others to church, but for now, those are the top six on my heart. Can you think of a better one? Let me know!